opwg - [OP] share information

opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Organic Pineapple Working Group

  • From: Organic Pineapple Working Group <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: Organic Pineapple Working Group <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OP] share information
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 19:40:50 -0600

Saturday, February 26, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Duane Bartholomew wrote
regarding literature sources for organic pineapple production:

> ... anyone who attended the pineapple symposium in Brazil might
> remember [that] Two papers were presented there that might be helpful.
> I helped to edit the Murray paper but have not read the other one.
> See abstracts below and copies of the original may be obtainable from the
> authors and are available for a fee from ISHS.org.

David Murray is a member of the OPWG (but he hasn't authorized the
release of his email address). In any case, he should be receiving a
copy of any request posted to OPWG, and if he is willing, I'll be
glad to provide access to house a digital copy on the OPWG website,
for downloading.

> Also, once Rob has finished the summary of best practices, if he is
> willing, I would be willing to include it in Pineapple News. That way it
> could be available to all who have computer access from the ISHS web
> site. If Rob is willing to make the copy public, the document could be
> updated as new knowledge becomes available.

And the same offer holds true for the document Rob Moss's group is
preparing:

RM> [Our] intention is to summarise our findings and summarise general
RM> 'best-practice' for pineapple growing that fit within EU organic
RN> regulations. This is nearly complete, though time constraints make
RM> it hard to specify the exact end point.

I found the project Rob referred to very interesting and believe
others here may coincide, so I'll include the following text from
the West Africa Fair Fruits Company's website:

http://www.waffcompany.com/waffcompany.php?cmsID=4&&ProjectID=00047

VAKPO - Danyinu Organic Pineapple Outgrowers

Project Summary

The goal of this project is to increase rural income through
export market development. WAFF together with SNV assist the VAKPO
Danyinu Pineapple farmer association in the Kpandu District (Volta
region, Ghana) develop a supply of Queen Victoria baby pineapples
for export to Germany. The project also aims to build capacity at
the district office of MOFA for value chain development for export
crops by analysing the opportunties and competitiveness of the
crops before selecting and also understanding the needs of the
customer and being responsive to them.

Here in Mexico, we have established an agreement with the
Biological, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Faculty of the
second largest University in the country and are forming a
multi-disciplinary team of researchers for the purpose of developing
Biologically Integrated Farming Systems for a number of crops,
beginning with Pineapple.

A number of details have yet to be defined so I can't tell you
exactly when the results will be available, but (as mentioned), the
agreement has been made.

And hopefully, other OPWG members will soon express their interest
in joining the Cooperative Organic Pineapple Research Project that
will allow us to make an Organic Pineapple Production Manual
available to participating OPWG members.

Douglas Hinds