opwg - Re: [OP] share information

opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Organic Pineapple Working Group

  • From: Organic Pineapple Working Group <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: det AT tipco.net
  • Cc: opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org, Anurat AT tipco.net
  • Subject: Re: [OP] share information
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:58:55 -1000

Dear Det:

I am replying to your email because I did not see a reply from the opwg to you. I wonder if the group is still active. If you did get a reply then perhaps the group has stopped functioning because there is no one to lead it.

Personally, I do not know anything about organic practices for pineapple and so far as I know there is no literature on the subject. Lacking anything else, my recommendation would be to start with the requirements for growing crops under the organic label and develop practices from there. As far as I know there is no list of approved practices for pest and disease control so rotation would seem to be the best option for nematode control if they are present. In the United States there are a few products, e.g. soaps, sold for pest control but I don't know how effective they are on pineapple.

I wish you success as you explore this option for your pineapple operation.
With best regards,
Duane