ohp - [OA-monographs] OHP press release: Print Journal Converts to OA, Joins OHP

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: Sigi Jottkandt <sigij AT openhumanitiespress.org>
  • To: "ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OA-monographs] OHP press release: Print Journal Converts to OA, Joins OHP
  • Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 19:54:56 +1300

In case of interest to the list.
Best wishes,
Sigi

For Immediate Release, October 5, 2009

Contact: Sigi Jöttkandt: sigij AT openhumanitiespress.org
Open Humanities Press

PHILOSOPHY JOURNAL CONVERTS TO OA, JOINS OPEN HUMANITIES PRESS – Filozofski vestnik International, a peer-reviewed journal from the Institute of Philosophy, Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of the Arts and Sciences, has converted to open access and become part of the Open Humanities Press collective.

The major new humanities publishing initiative, Open Humanities Press (OHP) (http://openhumanitiespress.org), is pleased to welcome its latest addition to the open access journal collective. Filozofski vestnik International, edited by Peter Klepec, is the first print-to-OA conversion OHP has undertaken.

“We are delighted to join OHP’s list of prestigious OA journals” said Jelica Šumič-Riha, a member of the Filozofski vestnik International editorial board. “I'm sure that the journal will thrive surrounded by such a stimulating collective.”

Filozofski vestnik International, the international edition of the Slovenian language journal, will continue to publish in print as well as OA. The editors explained their decision as a way of extending the small print runs that are subsidized by the Slovenian government. “The open access edition will reach a much wider audience than the paper versions. We see them as complementary,” said Šumič-Riha.

Filozofski vestnik International’s international advisory board includes Alain Badiou, Chair of Philosophy at the École Normale Supérieure, J.G.A. Pocock, Harry C. Black Professor of History Emeritus at Johns Hopkins University, Herta Nagl-Docekal, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Vienna, Chantal Mouffe, Professor of Political Theory at the University of Westminster, Manfred Frank, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Tübingen, Martin Jay, Sidney Hellman Ehrman Professor of History at the University of California, Berkeley.

Like all journals affiliated with OHP, Filozofski vestnik International was assessed by OHP’s editorial oversight group for its fit with OHP’s intellectual mission and publication standards. The conversion, using the Public Knowledge Project’s Open Journal Systems, was overseen by Sigi Jöttkandt, one of OHP’s co-founders. “I was thrilled when the prestigious print journal, Filozofski vestnik, approached us about their intention to go OA. I expect we will see a lot more academic editors turning to the print/OA hybrid model as a compelling way of getting work out to readers. This is an important milestone for OHP, and for humanities publishing.” Filozofski vestnik International appears once a year with articles in English, French and German.

###

Open Humanities Press is an international Open Access publishing collective specializing in critical and cultural theory. OHP was formed by academics to overcome the current crisis in scholarly publishing that threatens intellectual freedom and academic rigor worldwide. OHP journals are academically certified by OHP’s independent board of international scholars. All OHP publications are peer-reviewed, published under open access licenses, and freely and immediately available online at http://openhumanitiespress.org.

  • [OA-monographs] OHP press release: Print Journal Converts to OA, Joins OHP, Sigi Jottkandt, 10/04/2009