ocba - Re: [ocba] Type of inner cover for winter?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Type of inner cover for winter?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:51:10 -0400

Hey Mark,

1) you don't need an inner cover with a Miller-type top feeder. Just put the telescoping outer cover directly on top of the feeder. Make sure it is bee-tight. If it isn't, you can run a strip of foam self-adhesive insulation around the top edge, like the type that you'd use to insulate around a door. This isn't to insulate against the weather (that isn't necessary); it is to keep bees out.

2) when not using a Miller-type top feeder, I use regular ol' wooden inner covers, the kind with a hand-hold in the middle and a notch in one end. If the conditions at your place are similar to those at mine, that's all you need. No need to over-think it.

Randall