ocba - [ocba] Type of inner cover for winter?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Mark Smith <mpsmith90 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Type of inner cover for winter?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:02:24 -0400

Good afternoon,

I am currently using a top feeder along with a screened inner cover on top for both my hives.  This set up worked great for the summer but I am not sure it will work for winter since it will be too much ventilation.  I was going to leave the top feeder on in case I need to feed in the spring time or when the stores are low.

In doing research, condensation on the inner cover can have significant impacts on the bees in winter so I want to avoid it at all costs.  I do plan to make sure the hives are tipped forward to allow condensation to pool towards the front of the hives.

So my questions are: What type of inner cover should I use for winter?  Is the solid inner cover the best choice for this area?

Thank you for any advice.

Mark