ocba - Re: [ocba] Fungi to save bees?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Fungi to save bees?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:48:32 -0400

Phil,
I brought this research to the attention of Cedric Pearce and Randall Austin earlier this year. I agree that it is an interesting idea and I hope that further research by Washington State University will find that there is some promise in using fungi to combat disease in bee colonies. Cedric commented that Paul Stamets often promotes fungal solutions to various nutritional deficiencies and often with scant research based evidence in support of his solution. Cedric noted that it is possible that toxic compounds found in some fungi might be effective against varroa and/or other diseases of the hive. But that (as with all things honeybee) more research is needed. Fortunately in this case Steve Sheppard, an entomologist at Washington State, is stepping in to scientifically test the fungal hypothesis.

Time will tell. I will be keeping my fingers crossed hoping for a natural approach to some of the problems that we see with our bees.

-John

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071 (M)

No trees or bees were killed in the distribution of this message, but countless electrons were seriously inconvenienced.