ocba - Re: [ocba] Oxalic Acid approved by EPA

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John McPhaul <john.mcphaul AT gmail.com>
  • To: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Chris and Lisa Laudeman <chrisandlisa AT laudeman.com>, Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Oxalic Acid approved by EPA
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 09:36:58 -0400

Hello all,

So yesterday I went in my weak hive and my girls didn't make it!:(

Lots of dead bees on the bottom board. We had one deep and 2 supers on this hive and the upper super still had lots of honey.  It looks like the upper was just too far for them to get to as there was still some brood cells in the first super.  It looked like maybe the queen died as there were some supercede(queen) cells but basically none appeared tohave made it.

I may have not had adequate ventilation or perhaps there were just not enough bees that survived to keep the temperature high enough.

I plan on going in the second(stronger) hive today.

My question, well I have many, is can I put the supers with honey in the strong hive to help them jump start their Spring population or just leave them outside the hive for them to rob?  I looked at the dead bees closely and could not discern any varroa or anything else other than inability to access food stores as the cause.

If anyone is going to be around Chapel Hill this afternoon @1PM feel free to stop by 1 Winter Dr. and you can help me go into my lone survivor hive!  I'm hoping it's strong and we can get it rolling while we either get a swarm or a new package.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
John & Nina McPhaul
919-656-6965