ocba - [ocba] Fwd: Photos

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elizabeth Pratson <epratson AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: Photos
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:56:48 -0500

I opened up my hives yesterday - and found that one of my hives did not make it.  I saw a small cluster that appears to have starved/frozen to death after the last snow storm, despite a full super of honey above them.  I found the queen in the middle and some freshly laid eggs - so sad.

I saw one brood cell that looked a little funny, and wanted to make sure it wasn’t foulard (see the photo below where the finger is pointing).  The following photo shows a better picture of the whole frame.  I was going to feed the honey left in the hive to my other hive - but wondered if I need to worry about contaminating the other hive.

Thanks so much for any feedback,
Elizabeth Pratson