ocba - [ocba] Bee-havior

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bee-havior
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:52:33 -0400

For the past 4 or 5 days one of my two hives has had a small handful of bees
(fewer than 100) hovering around the back side of the hive. They land on the
hive, crawl around a bit - generally under the lip of the top cover - and
then take to the air again. The process repeats itself over and over. I can't
tell whether these are my bees or whether they're coming from somewhere else.

I've only had my hives since May. This is the first time I ever seen bees on
the back side of either hive. Is this unusual? Is it an attempt by a stronger
hive to rob this hive.

Around front at the entrance of the hive, all seems to be going on as normal.
No fighting. Bees coming in with pollen and others going off to forage.

Nothing unusual is going on at my second hive which sits about 6 feet away.
All of the behind-the-hive activity seems to be focused on only the one hive.

Any insights into what might be going on would be appreciated.

John