ocba - [ocba] Swarmed Hive Advice

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Stacy Crabill <stacycrabill AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarmed Hive Advice
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 17:30:55 -0400

I am a new beekeeper, and installed my first package of bees in the spring. All was well, and my hive appeared to be strong... perhaps too strong. They swarmed on July 2nd. I have waited patiently in hopes that the remaining bees would raise their own queen (saw several queen cells after the swarm), but after a thorough inspection today, 15 days post swarm, there is no evidence of brood, eggs or a queen. Just lots of bees, pollen and honey in my two 10 frame deeps.

If I were able to find and purchase a new queen, is it too late in the season for the bees to make it through the winter? If so, resources for a queen? Other ideas?
 Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Stacy Crabill