ocba - Re: [ocba] Pollen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Janet Weinberg <janetweinberg AT yahoo.com>, Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Pollen
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 19:54:18 -0400

Janet,

Real pollen is by far much better to feed bees than is pollen substitute. But it is expensive; Brushy Mountain has real pollen for $15 per pound.

First, though, answer the question of whether you need to feed pollen. Is there no stored pollen in your hives? Are your bees cannibalizing their eggs and young larvae because they have absolutely no protein in the hive?

I live in an abundant area with respect to pollen -- I've never felt the need to feed it to my bees. But I'm not trying to built colonies up for early-season pollination contracts or to create nucs or packages for sale. Everyone's goals are different.

Randall Austin