ocba - Re: [ocba] Bees in a house

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Cheryl Kozel <cherylkozel1641 AT att.net>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bees in a house
  • Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 12:12:22 -0500

Hey Cheryl,

1) Bees aren't great chewers but I know they can chew through newspaper. I certainly wouldn't expect them to chew through sheet rock but I would "never say never". Sheet rock isn't actually very formidable, and if it was weakened by moisture or other distress it may have been easy to remove. My best guess is that there was a crack or thinning in the sheet rock (maybe caused by another creature) and the bees took advantage of that, rather than the bees being responsible for the opening in the first place.

2) Bees relocated at this time of year are pretty much guaranteed to die. If she can wait until March of next year, that would be a perfect time to have them removed and successfully relocated. If she posts a request to this list in March, she'll likely find someone eager to get them.

3) As long as there is an access point, the bees won't care if your friend puts something like a canopy or water-shed over it.

Hope this helps.

Randall Austin