ocba - [ocba] Bees in a house

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Cheryl Kozel <cherylkozel1641 AT att.net>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bees in a house
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 16:14:29 -0800 (PST)

Good Evening:

One of my neighbors called me this evening and says she has bees in her walls which have started to break thru.  They have covered the breach into the house .
So I have several questions.

1 do honey bees really chew thru sheet rock?
2.  She is willing to leave them there thru the winter.  Would this be the best option at this time?
3.  She would like to make sure water is not coming into her walls, if she makes a canopy over the hole to divert the water will this disrupt the bees?

Thanks for your help.

Cheryl Kozel