ocba - [ocba] cleaning drone frames

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jerry Schoendorf <jerry AT schoe.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] cleaning drone frames
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 13:43:38 -0400

A month ago during the nectar flow I added a green frame of drone foundation
into a hive expecting that it would be drawn out and I could use it later in
the summer/fall in case mite counts became alarming. About 21 days later it
was fully drawn and filled. I removed it, froze it, wrapped it in plastic and
went on vacation. Returning to the project a couple weeks later I found it
was moldy and smelly. I hosed off the dead larvae and have put it in a light
and air location for storage until it might be needed. I imagine that the
bees will make short work of the rest of the cleaning.

However, it finally occurred to me that it would be good to ask how others
clean up drone foundation?? Is there a better way??

Thanks!

Jerry