ocba - [ocba] Black plastic frames vs. wax frames

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lew Hassell <lew.hassell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Black plastic frames vs. wax frames
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:41:14 -0400

hi, all

I got back from vacation, thus giving my girls a nice rest from my curiosity (I am new to bee keeping).  The original deep had wax foundation and that seemed to go pretty well.  After a month and a half I put another deep on my two hives, but this deep had plastic foundation.  When I came back and checked the top deep (black plastic), not only were they drawing comb on the frames, but they also had drawn comb between the frames, so that when I took the frames out to look at them, there was not only honey dripping, but exposed larva.  Is this normal with black plastic frames?  There didn't seem to be the same problem with the wax frames.

Thanks

Lew