ocba - [ocba] wax moth disaster

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] wax moth disaster
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:56:32 -0400

Yikes. From 5 healthy hives we have gone to one hive bursting with bees but no brood,  three queenless hives totally infested with wax moth larvae, and one hive still uninfested but with dwindling population and no evidence of a queen.
What to do? There's lots of robbing going on. Should we just open the infested hives and let them be robbed out? Can the comb be salvaged this way or is there another way?  We'd be grateful for any advice. -ElisabethThanks.