ocba - Re: [ocba] ocba Digest, Vol 98, Issue 7

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Thomas Grizzle <griz AT mindspring.com>, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] ocba Digest, Vol 98, Issue 7
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:43:16 -0400

Hey Tom,

Yea great question and I forgot to relay all my info.

My fear of a honey super w/o an excluder is the queen will go up and start
laying. That has happened to me before so I always choose to run an excluder.
It's just this year with more hives comes the chance to increase the
variables. Hence the 4 who do not like to go above it.

So their experience was to either remove it and try that or do the non-drawn
comb foundation as an excluder. The "idea" behind it is the queen is not
likely to pass a couple inches of non drawn comb and go up into the frames
with drawn comb! So in a way it is a queen excluder.

From there once those frames are 80% filled you can remove the non drawn *(
which at this time will have some cells started I'm sure) super and add
either it on top or another super with drawn.

Cool idea worth trying. Maybe finally something to calm the heated excluder
non-excluder debate? :-)

Like I say all the time:
There are only 2 consistent things in beekeeping. We are human and they are
bees!! Everything else is up in the air!

Cheers and good luck.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone