ocba - Re: [ocba] BEE Protective this Earth Day

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] BEE Protective this Earth Day
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:09:31 -0400 (EDT)

Annallys,

Let's get one thing straight right now.  I do not work for nor have I ever worked for a company that produces or markets this or any other chemical.  I work for an independent contract research organization.  I do not get paid based on how many tons of neonics (or any other pesticide or GMO seed) are sold.  I get paid to conduct agronomic research on seeds and pesticides.  I get paid to look at the effects of pesticides on bees in the lab and in the field.  I get paid to look at residue levels in nectar and pollen.  I get paid to manage 250 colonies.  My pay is not based on the outcome of any study.  I do not have a dog in this fight as you seem to believe. Yes...I do work with pesticides every day in a research setting.  No...I do not produce or sell them.

As far as I can tell, I did not in any way disparage your post or the goals of the organization in your post.  It certainly was not my intent.  It only brought to my mind my frustration with the amount of tunnel vision that I perceive regarding the neonics in the media and among beekeepers.  I believe fear is an accurate description and I stand by my choice of that word.

My goal as a member of the beekeeping community is to share what I believe to be true with those who are interested.  I am fully aware that many are not interested.  Here is some of what I believe to be true:

1.  Varroa is by far the number one threat to bee health.

2.  Beekeepers should spend the bulk of their worrying energy worrying about things that are within their control; Varroa, nutrition, disease identification/prevention, and quality queens.

3.  I believe pesticides are here to stay, and no amount of rock throwing or online petition signing is going to significantly change that.

4.  Educating folks on proper pesticide use and alternatives to pesticides is important.