ocba - Re: [ocba] Molasses -> Honey?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Eric Schwenke <eric AT swanfire.net>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Molasses -> Honey?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 18:29:06 -0400

Thanks everyone! Now I know to keep them away from both the molasses and our personal supply of evaporated cane juice.

Eric Schwenke

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com> wrote:
I suggest you flip through "Fat Bees, Skinny Bees", a bee nutrition
book from Australia
https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/downloads/05-054

Some quotes from there:

pg 119:
"Various sugar/carbohydrate
sources were trialled including molasses,
treacle, brown sugar, white sugar, golden
syrup and raw sugar. Bees weren’t
interested at all in molasses or treacle, and
showed the best response to white sugar."

You'll find some other quotes around there that might be useful.

Best,
Blair