ocba - [ocba] Beehive map

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elizabeth Pratson <elizabeth.pratson AT att.net>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Beehive map
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:25:50 -0400

Hello beekeepers, Elizabeth Pratson here. I am a beekeeper off of Dairyland
and Bethel-Hickory Church Grove Ln (at 1520 Meadow Ln). I lost one of my 2
hives during a cold spell, and realized yesterday when I went into my hives
that I must have accidentally rolled my queen in my second hive a couple
weeks ago. I saw 2-3 supersedure cells in this hive yesterday, and I think
they are going to hatch any day now. My worry is that with only one hive,
there are no drones to mate with. The closest hives that I know of are near
Mapelview Dairy. I know that we used to have a map of beekeepers, and was
wondering if that is still available.

I would love to try and purchase a new queen (if anyone has a mated queen for
sale, I would be interested). If I can't find a queen, then I might let my
hive produce their own queen. If I do let them produce their own queen, do
you think I should move my hives closer to another hive if there are none
nearby so that she will have some drones available to her.

Thank you all for your help!
Elizabeth Pratson