ocba - [ocba] Delighted with Bailey's Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Steve Richardson <mda180 AT aol.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: a2zconvention AT gmail.com, geoffleister AT me.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Delighted with Bailey's Bees
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 20:00:33 -0500 (EST)

Took my classes in Alamance County last year and again this year, like so many do twice, despite passing the exam the first time.

Only this year with the second bite at the apple to make up for what I felt I didn't understand sufficiently to put honeybees at risk because of my own possible ineptitude -- passing some test means little or nothing -- have I purchased all the hardware and ordered bees.

Bear with me, if this next doesn't at first quite compute.

I took up horseback
riding in early middle age, and the first time I ever went into a tack shop to get what I needed per my riding instructor, I was intimidated because I'd been in those places for a decade or more only because my ex-wife had dragged me there, and I always remained bored and clueless.  That was years back.  Since, I've since paid my dues riding horses and know my way around a tack shop.  But the place I went in Raleigh when I was clueless did a reasonably good job of putting me at ease.

Going into Bailey's Bees in Hillsborough yesterday, I felt like I did when I began learning to ride and went to my first tack shop.  Yeah, I knew what I needed to the first approximation, but I felt outclassed and a bit foolish and not at all confident.  But it was better than my experience at the tack shop.

Mr. Bailey put me completely at ease, as did another customer at the time, too, both with reassuring and helpful suggestions.

Even before that, David and I also talked at great length about deeply important things having nothing whatever to do with bees, but which thoroughly convinced me of his integrity.

Bought what I'd held back buying last year
when I didn't want my sense of ineptitude to put innocent bees at risk.

David kindly delivered what I needed this afternoon to my house at Lake Orange without charge and he answered even more questions.  Of course I also ordered bees from him for delivery when weather permits.

David Bailey is an asset to Hillsborough and our regional beekeeping community.  Professionally, I know character and honesty.  David has both

Suspect
I could save a few bucks by ordering stuff online, but won't.  I'm very tightfisted with money but having David around to provide direction and help without the slightest whisper of seeking to pad the invoice, is argument enough.

(Copying this to my Alamance County mentors, so they'll know what a fine regional resource we have with David in Hillsborough.)

Steve Richardson
Lake Orange
Hillsborough

"Science progresses funeral by funeral."Max Planck

  • [ocba] Delighted with Bailey's Bees, Steve Richardson, 03/09/2013