ocba - Re: [ocba] split question?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] split question?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 23:31:39 -0400

Randy,

I would wait a bit before making a judgement.

If the nuc is chock full of honey then a queen won't have anywhere to lay even if she wants to. Go ahead and move it into a full-size box and give it foundation and/or empty comb from another hive.

I've found that brand-new queens sometimes take a little time to figure out how to lay right. Random drone brood in the first week or so of a queen's career wouldn't worry me.

New queens can be skittish and runny; she may become slower & more matronly after a while, which will make her easier to find.

Give it another week and let us know how it looks then!

Randall Austin