ocba - [ocba] Edible Honey Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Edible Honey Bees
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:19:06 -0400

Hi everyone,

A question for you adventuresome eaters, has anyone ever eaten honey bees?   I know they are edible and supposedly the stinger and poison are rendered harmless by cooking.  I cannot, however, find any recipes.  I did find this bee larvae recipe…

Bee-LT Sandwich
Ingredients:
-Bee larvae
-1 egg white
-1 tsp butter
-1/4 tsp honey
-1 tomato
-1 leaf lettuce
-2 slices of bread
-1 tbsp mayonnaise
-1 pinch salt
Sautee the bee larvae in the butter, with a tiny bit of salt and a few drops of honey. Once larvae become golden brown and crispy-looking, remove, and mix into enough egg white to cover and bind them into a mass. Then return them to the sautee butter, pressing them together into a patty.
Toast bread, and slice tomato. Spread mayonnaise on toasted bread when ready. When bee patty becomes firm, place it atop the lettuce and tomato on the sandwich. Enjoy!

Tom