ocba - [ocba] "GOOD" friday news...swarm and new cells all in one day!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] "GOOD" friday news...swarm and new cells all in one day!
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 15:48:49 -0400

Hello All,

So they call this GOOD friday...finally some good news to share w/ everyone! Here is a picture taken from a colony here at our farm just an hour after it swarmed. Sorry no pic of the swarm...i went to the box to take a peak...found this one frame w/ 6 cells on it and could see larva swimming in royal jelly. Sorry but i tried to get the close up but way to fuzzy. I just sprayed some sugar water on the top and went right in..no smoke and they were SO calm.

Q'S: would you say i'm around day 8-10??

Just some notes about swarms: this is the second swarm from our farm this year, that i am aware of..and they both flew to the same Dogwood tree. For those pondering the "swarm box" placement delima...the tree is 30' back from the rear of the hives, 8-9' in the air is where both landed and they both swarmed around 1-2pm in the day.
I also went out to Jeff's and placed 2 swarm boxes on ladders in hope i can lure that huge swarm he has down to it. It was still there after 2 days and 2 rain storms! I used the "lures" from Brushy so i will send out anything we hear on it. I feel its to far but maybe worth a shot. I put one pack on a string and tucked in a rock into the packet after it was open and tossed it up 20 or so feet into the tree...up wind from the swarm. I then places the 2 boxes below that but still up wind...in hopes the wind blowing across the hives and lure would get up to the swarm. will be fun to see what happens...they do call this good friday after all! ;-)

marty

--
Marty Hanks
Just Bee, Apiaries

 Home of the Orange County Honey Project.
"Created by Artisans....Bottled by Humans"

  • [ocba] "GOOD" friday news...swarm and new cells all in one day!, Marty Hanks, 04/06/2012