ocba - Re: [ocba] queens available?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] queens available?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:39:18 -0400 (EDT)

The condition that you describe is sometimes referred to as bald brood (might have other names as well).  I tend to associate it with a high mite load, but doing a quick google search the folks in the UK seem to associate it with wax moths.  At any rate, a good assessment of overall colony health would be in order before throwing a queen at it.  What is the current mite count?

Uncapping diseased brood is a recessive trait in honey bees.  Removing the uncapped brood is also a recessive trait.  Both of these traits can be selected for in our breeding stock.  The trick is getting both of these recessive traits plugged in to the open mated offspring of the breeder stock.  Sometimes the daughter might have one or the other trait but not both.  Your colony may have the uncapping trait but not the removing trait.

Assess colony health for disease, especially mite load.  Address anything that might be out of whack.  Add a frame of eggs and look for signs of a laying queen in about a month.  Be patient.  Don't panic.  Practice your craft.

Lewis