ocba - Re: [ocba] German Beekeeping with Skeps videos

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Watson Bowes <wbowes AT gmail.com>
  • To: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] German Beekeeping with Skeps videos
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:49:38 -0500

Randy:

This is a fascinating video.  I hope to watch the rest the series.  Thanks for drawing this to our attention.

Watty Bowes

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM, birdcr AT concentric.net <birdcr AT concentric.net> wrote:

Everyone,

I happened into 8 videos on YouTube that were posted at the end of
May last year. These videos demonstrate from the beginning of the
season up until winter how they use migratory skeps in beekeeping
in the Heathlands. To me it was fascinating the entire thing. Very
little of how they do it compares with our ways of beekeeping.

 I want one of those pipe smokers, handsfree and ready when you
need it. No lumber is used in the hives themselves and skeps made
from straw and reeds can last 75 years when used it the sheds and
covered in cow dung.

Swarming, it is a business to these beekeepers they stay on watch
and capture the swarms with nets right on the front of the skeps.
So the bees swarm and they sell the bees. Please check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbONroWPic
This is the first of 8 videos, look on the YouTube right side bar
for the other 7 videos.

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC