ocba - Re: [ocba] Bees and Swimming pools

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bees and Swimming pools
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:00:50 -0500 (CDT)

We have a pond full of water lilies right in front of the hive
maybe 6 foot away. I have not seen the bees down there getting
water, at least not more than one or two. The wine bottles stuck
in the ground as a flower bed border, some capture water and I see
bees drinking out of them all the time when they are wet. I have
found the pond down the hill from us (with woods between us)
having 15-20 bees in the mud, so I think they like being away from
the hive to drink.

My friends hives drink from a rain barrel top around the corner of
the house from the bees, it can be very busy with bees.

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
www.rlephoto.blogspot.com
www.rlephoto.com