ocba - Re: [ocba] Hello the list!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Sean Woolcock <carrbarian AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hello the list!
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:54:35 -0400

Sean,

A fascinating, must-read article on honey bee stings and how to avoid them, the different types of reactions, when to be concerned and when not, etc. is found here: http://www.wncbees.org/docs/reference/Marterre.2006.pdf. It's written by Buddy Marterre, who is both a NC Master Beekeeper and an organ-transplant surgeon. So he knows a bit about the topic.

Randall Austin

Sean Woolcock wrote:
This seems like a good thread for installation stories ...

I installed mine on Saturday and it went fine until four or five bees
were lured in by my magnificent beard. I guess they got stuck,
because they were freaking out and two of them stung me on the chin.
I got another zap on the fingertip from trying to (gently) help them
out, and another one behind the ear.

None of the stings swelled much, and the pain was gone very quickly.

As a chiId I suffered a very bad swelling reaction to a bee sting
(hand like a goat's udder), but I've been hit many times since by
yellow-jackets and such without any problem. Still, I was a little
nervous that maybe I was just allergic to honeybee venom and not that
of other hymenoptera and that this was an idiotic pastime to be taking
up. I was thinking about deliberately taking a sting on the arm so
that I would know my status before getting one nearer to my airways,
but the girls went with their own test which I'm thrilled to have
passed. :)

Sean