ocba - [ocba] bee packages and dead bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: kate demayo <kdemayo AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] bee packages and dead bees
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:33:09 -0400

Hey all,
I wanted to check in with folks about dead bees in the bee packages. we installed two packages on saturday and one was noticeably more lively than the other. when i installed the less lively packaged it seemed like there was a mess of dead bees in there. i could not really tell what was going on then, because all the live bees were on top of them. i just went to check on my bees and at the bottom of the hive where i dumped my package is a whole lot of dead bees, in front of the hive as well.
the bees that made it are busy drawing comb and trying to get the queen out, i'm happy to report!
i know that it's normal to have some dead bees in your package but i wanted to see if this sounds normal to folks and what your experience is.
thanks so much!
kate