ocba - Re: [ocba] Hive in bad shape

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: false <verrildd AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: ocba listserv <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hive in bad shape
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 18:03:45 -0500

Donovan,
The bad news is that your hive is dead.  The good news is you have drawn comb and honey to shake your new bees on.  This will give them a huge jump this year.  In my opinion, the bees that you are seeing are likely robbers from other hives picking up the remaining honey.  Open the hive first thing in the morning and you will likely find almost no bees.  The robbers will clean it up in a day or two.  Close off the hive to protect it from robbers and save that food for your new bees.

Lewis