ocba - Re: [ocba] Fwd: Hillsborough Home Colony

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "G. C. Palethorpe" <runsunix AT mac.com>
  • To: lcauble AT email.unc.edu
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Fwd: Hillsborough Home Colony
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:19:50 -0400

Many of the older houses are balloon framed, often there are not plates and headers where you might think, and nothing is tight. Moreover, the stud cavities are often open to space between floor joists. It is very likely that the void around the window opens into a stud cavity, possibly into space between floor levels --but if it doesn't someone gets lucky.

I'm not telling you what to do, but you might want to think about what will happen if the weight goes up or down through the comb structure. You might be able to probe with a borescope to see what you have before you start tearing apart the house.

-Chandler