ocba - Re: [ocba] Fwd: Hillsborough Home Colony

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Jerome Schiro" <jerome.schiro AT gmail.com>
  • To: "runsunix AT mac.com" <runsunix AT mac.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Fwd: Hillsborough Home Colony
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 21:58:48 -0400

This is very helpful information and again what I expected.  I'll speak with my neighbor about options.  Will be in touch.

Jerome

On 5/11/08, runsunix AT mac.com <runsunix AT mac.com> wrote:
I usually am a casual observer of the forum, but since i have
extensive experience in building and remodeling i thought i would
chime in just this once; hope it helps as i can't.

If the house is old enough that the window sashes have cords w/
weights, then the bees will almost certainly occupy the voids all the
way around the windows.  For each side of each sash a space with a
minimum of 2.5 inches is needed for proper function of the windows.
Usually the widows have similar spaces above and below the casings.
There may or may not be headers above the windows, and often the
framing is sloppy enough on older houses to allow bees to............

Anyway, if the bees occupy just the window casing voids, they may be
removed by removing trim around the windows, something done
periodically to replace sash cords anyway.  If the house has been
remodeled to include sheetrock and replacement windows, the endeavor
becomes more complicated --we won't go there, but hard times make for
good memories!

Best, Chandler