nafex - Re: [nafex] Kieffer pear - early season bearer?

  • From: Louis Pittman <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Kieffer pear - early season bearer?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 13:15:16 -0600

Betsy,
While mislabeling can happen even at the best of nurseries, and it's worse
at places like TyTY - I've gotten more than one tree from a reputable
source that turned out not to be 'as labeled' - I would suspect that you
probably got the real deal from Starks.
If you'd been buying a 'Bartlett' at Lowe's, for instance, I wouldn't at
all be surprised - if it lived -10 years down the road, to find out that it
turned out to be Kieffer. lol.

Did the fruit match up with photos and descriptions of what Kieffer fruit
should be like?
No fruit here this year, and my own Keiffer trees are not yet bearing here,
so I can't attest to harvest period... but almost nothing here is later
than early September... and if it is, the European hornets eat it before
any chance of it ripening on the tree.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY