nafex - [nafex] Kieffer pear - early season bearer?

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Kieffer pear - early season bearer?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 11:13:46 -0500

Hi folks,

My Kieffer pear has not borne fruit for years due to a lack of pollinators. But this year, Carpenter bees and some miner bees helped us out. Our Kieffer tree bore a bumper crop in 2020.

But this is my question: Now that I seek to buy a second Kieffer, the variety descriptions all state that they ripen in October, some say into November.

In my orchard in 2020, the pears ripened in August-early September right after Harrow Delight and before Potomac.

What gives? I bought this tree from Stark Brothers about 17 years ago. I had not noticed this discrepancy before.  Are there different varieties of 'sand pears' called 'Kieffer' circulating out there?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Elizabeth Hilborn

Zone 7a, central NC