nafex - [nafex] no new growth on young apple?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] no new growth on young apple?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 08:26:19 -0400

I was hoping to get some new growth on this apple tree this spring, so I
could use it as grafting stock. But every twig ends in a rosette, like the
ones shown below, with nothing sprouting. Is there anything I can do? Would
it help to cut the rosette off? Would it have helped if I did it earlier in
the season? Anything else I could do to promote new growth?

It’s an Ashmeads Kernel on G205, I think. It’s in a lousy spot, and won’t
ever get enough sun. (Thus my interest in grafting it to something else,
somewhere else.)

Thanks for any advice,
Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6