nafex - Re: [nafex] carmine jewel cherry

  • From: Ginda <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] carmine jewel cherry
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 16:56:50 -0500

I bought three carmine jewel about 5 years ago. I planned on in my backyard,
and gave the other two to friends. All in zone 6, eastern ma.

The first year, one was eaten to the ground, but it resprouted the next year.
All three have grown well since then, and were perhaps 6-7 feet tall last
year. All bloomed a little two years ago, and bloomed heavily last year.
Oddly for a cherry, they bloomed after the leaves had sprouted. The flowers
are small and inconspicuous.

All three trees set a little fruit two years ago, and set a lot of fruit last
year. All three owners caged our trees last summer, and despite that, the
critters ate every single cherry of all three trees well before they ripened.
None of us has tasted the fruit.

My tree has been very healthy. I've seen minor insect damage, and no sign of
other problems. I pruned mine heavily last fall, to keep it inside the cage,
which I plan to reinforce with a floor this summer.

Other than critter problems, the trees have been very low maintenance.

Ginda Fisher
Eastern Massachusetts, zone 6

On February 4, 2016 4:48:04 PM EST, Maria <mariaschu@vtlink.net> wrote:
>We had our first biggish harvest from 10 Carmine Jewels we planted
>around 5 years ago. The fruit was nice, tarter than I expected. I
>know
>you are supposed to wait until they are really black to pick them-- but
>
>when we waited too long to pick it, the fruit got some kind of mold.
>The bushes have done great here in zone3/4, with very little care, just
>
>a once a spring mulch & compost. We also planted Crimson Passion, a
>year later, got a few fruit last summer and it is indeed sweeter than
>Carmine Jewel.
>
>On 2/4/16 3:31 PM, Melissa Kacalanos wrote:
>> Carmine Jewel did well for me in zone 5 central NY state. Bloomed
>quite late for a cherry, long past danger of frost. The birds loved the
>fruit. Late in the season, the leaves got some slight yellow spots, but
>not too bad. I moved away not long after I planted it, so sorry I can't
>report more than that.
>>
>> Melissa, now zone 7b near Atlanta
>>

>>> On Feb 4, 2016, at 1:31 PM, Lee Reich <leeareich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience with the bushy tart cherry, Juliet?
>Flavor? Pest resistance? Or its siblings, Romeo, or Carmine Jewel?
>>>
>>> Lee
>>> Lee Reich, PhD
>>> Come visit my farmden at http://www.leereich.com/blog
><http://www.leereich.com/blog>