nafex - Re: [nafex] Accelerate Fruiting - morus nigra

  • From: Steve Herje <loneroc1@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Accelerate Fruiting - morus nigra
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 09:18:51 -0600

You might also want to search for 'trunk girdling' or 'stem constriction'.
When I used to grow out tons of magnolia seedlings, in the third year I'd
bind the trunk with insulated wire for a year or two. The stem would
continue to expand and the resulting constriction interfered with sap flow.
It seemed to significantly shorten the time for slow maturing crosses to
flower. I did not have a control group of seedlings so...

Steve H. Lone Rock WI USDA zone 3