nafex - [nafex] Hubbardston - Ellison's

  • From: Richard <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Hubbardston - Ellison's
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 20:44:36 +0000

Hello Troops:

It's Murph again... I got Zestars like crazy this year. Jeeziz !!

Have any of you grown Hubbardston Nonesuch or Ellison's Orange apples?
I'm going to plant another 30 apple trees this spring, mostly Heirloom and
some 'new' varieties.

As you probably know, apple growth habits of a given variety can vary quite a
bit with soil, water and climate. Reading catalog / orchard descriptions and
opinions is almost a crap shoot. So, I'm interested in these two varieties.
Does the Ellison really smell like anise seed? All the Hubbardstons I've seen
are large and handsome; are they?
Also, I'm looking for a good reliable annual cropper of red fruit. Any
variety come to mind.

I value your opinions more than any text book ever written, or catalog.....

Please illuminate me.

Murph

  • [nafex] Hubbardston - Ellison's, Richard, 09/02/2014