nafex - Re: [nafex] salmonberry

  • From: <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] salmonberry
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 07:23:08 -0400

Salmonberry is Rubus spectabilis. Thimbleberry is Rubus parviflorus.
Raspberries are in the genus Rubus.

Ribes is a different genus, containing the currants and gooseberries.
Some species of Ribes are forbidden in some places
because they host white pine blister rust. To the best of my knowledge,
Rubus species have nothing to do with the rust.

Note that the Siberian black currant Ribes ussuriensis is resistant to white pine blister rust, and black currants such as Consort and Titania and some others are also resistant, being the results of crosses with Ribes ussuriensis. I believe that Consort and its self-sterile siblings Coronet and Crusader were products of the first crosses with Ribes ussuriensis and a European black currant, by Agriculture Canada at Ottawa, released very roughly sixty years ago. Titania and the other resistant cultivars, of higher quality, are products of later breeding.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario