nafex - Re: [nafex] salmonberry

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] salmonberry
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 13:27:10 -0400

On Apr 3, 2014, at 2:10 PM, Mike Levine wrote:

> I'm growing curious about salmonberries. Are there any cultivars
> available? Are there any thornless ones? How do the fruit taste? Would
> they likely be invasive in SE Michigan (they can get 10' tall) or do they
> mostly stay in bounds?

Speaking of invasive fruits -- I'm pretty sure they are one of the many
species of Ribes that are illegal to plant in my area. I've never seen them
growing wild, so I don't know if they are actually invasive.

I have seen thimbleberry (which may also be illegal) and that was very tasty,
although the fruit was quite small.

Ginda