nafex - Re: [nafex] Crataegus as rootstock

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Crataegus as rootstock
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 04:55:39 +0000 (UTC)

>I've scoured the web and elsewhere looking for info about
>hawthorn as a pear rootstock and have found little beyond
>casual mention that it can work.

Devin,

It's always an interesting subject isn't it. :)

It has been observed before under pear in Oregon some time ago
so it seems possible to have lasting effects as I have seen
results using the 'old home' as the interstem for trees about
25 years old still.

See:
http://horticulture.oregonstate.edu/system/files/ond100203a.pdf

Another example of pear with other things:
http://root2fruit.org/pdf/PEARwhitepaper.pdf

This last article in table 1 estimates takes with hawthorne to
pear as poor to good so good luck and maybe in ten years you
can copy back to us some day how it all went.

Rupert.