nafex - Re: [nafex] Hot Callous Grafting

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hot Callous Grafting
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:23:54 -0500

As an interesting (I thought) follow-up to this thread, last week I had the
good fortune of stumbling across a cache of old Nutshell newsletters from
the 70s and 80s, and have been reading through them over the past several
days.

In an article by John and Lisa Brittain published in the November 1987
issue, the Brittains state that

"Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery was established in 1985, operating as a
continuation of the Leslie H. Wilmoth Nursery. Wilmoth's nursery was
established in the 1970s, at a time when the selection of grafted nut trees
available to the public was very limited, mainly due to problems associated
with grafting. Wilmoth pioneered the bench grafting technique for nut
trees, and reported his findings to the Northern Nut Growers Association."

No wonder when the question of "Hot Callous Grafting" came up, so did the
names of both the Brittains and Wilmoth.

Pete Chrisbacher
Kennett Square, PA

  • Re: [nafex] Hot Callous Grafting, Peter Chrisbacher, 12/03/2013