nafex - Re: [nafex] honey locust alchemy: goo into sugar??

  • From: Little John <moonwise_herbs@sbcglobal.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] honey locust alchemy: goo into sugar??
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:43:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hector,

This is a question that was brought up by Peter Chrisbacher last year and it
still intrigues me. I've been collecting pods from some average trees in my
town so I can experiment. Something that seems like a faster option is to cut
the pods in half the long way. The cut would be just above the seeds. There
is very little goo between the seeds anyway. Then you have a piece of pod
with the majority of the green goo. That can be cut into shorter lengths and
fermented into beer or wine. Thats one thought I had.

I also thought about grinding the trimmed pieces of pod in a blender but the
outer pod had a bitter alkaloid that is really unpleasant. I wouldn't want
that to taint the finished product. I'm gonna try making some wine real soon.

Wish me luck,
Little John
Sheboygan, WI

"If we do not initiate the boys, they will burn the village down" -African
Proverb