nafex - [nafex] transplanting a mature spruce

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] transplanting a mature spruce
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:54:52 -0400

I have had pretty good success transplanting Norway spruce with up to a 3"
trunk diameter bare root. It's supposed to be best done in spring with
this species but I moved about 12 trees in mid Nov. I lost two, but
considering I had my help do it and didn't watch too closely (they planted
them too deep) I was more than pleased with the results- it was about 5
years ago and living trees are growing vigorously. They were all mature
trees- meaning sexually. It is harder to transplant trees once they've
begun producing seed because the process sucks energy from root
regeneration.

I prefer transplanting most species bare root but was surprised how well
spruce did because of the higher transpiration factor created by the
surface area of needles. I didn't use any anti-transpirants because
research I've seen doesn't really establish efficacy. Trees can regulate
transpiration with stomata so why clog up their own system. Severe drought
is similar to the stress caused by transplanting so I figure the trees have
developed their own methods.

  • [nafex] transplanting a mature spruce, Alan Haigh, 10/31/2013