nafex - [nafex] Murph's harvest

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Murph's harvest
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:35:24 -0400

Congratulations. Not surprised Zestar sells well, it is a superior apple
and much more adaptable than Honeycrisp. To me, it is a step up from
William's Pride flavor-wise, but WP may be the most beautiful apple I
grow. Must be tough to manage commercially with all the pickings, though.

Why do you use Captan instead of myclobutanyl? The SI's require only a
couple sprays to eliminate scab (and CAR) in orchards I manage, and don't
wash off once they set for an hour or two.

In a commercial orchard it is probably best to combine Captan with an SI to
delay scab immunity to the SI and to splash fungicide on new growth when it
rains between sprays. More trees, more pest pressure, based on my
observations.

  • [nafex] Murph's harvest, Alan Haigh, 08/29/2013