nafex - Re: [nafex] Rooting Cuttings

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rooting Cuttings
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:23:26 +0000 (UTC)

RE:
"I am trying to figure out how to root hard
to root plants better (such as goumi) and what makes the difference with
other plants (kiwis) in terms of the rate of success. Like I said, it
seems like the rooting medium is less critical than temperature, but
more clarity about other variables/ methods would be useful. I am trying
to use/ improve low-input methods so I can help other folks learn how to
do this at home."

Alexis,

If goumi is hard to root I would just air layer.

If kiwis are sometimes hard I would just tell them to stick with the
proven clones that work best. For example if 'Bruno' works but seedlings
of bruno are variable then stick with bruno.

Many plant rootstocks have been selected that way. In wet areas like
where I live you can actually see what looks like to be arial roots that
stick through the bark and into mid air for about a half an inch for 'm7'
or 'm26' which are apple stocks.

I do cherry during the dormant season but it is very specific on the
clone.

Rupert.
SW Washington