nafex - Re: [nafex] Rooting Cuttings

  • From: <topgun@otelco.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rooting Cuttings
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 14:11:05 -0500

Be sure your rooting media is porous and well aerated.
Topgun

-----Original Message----- From: alexis
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:26 AM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

I root cuttings from a lot of different plants. Mostly I use hardwood if
I can get it. My experience is:
Figs -- always root 100% as long as its warm
Hardy Kiwis -- usually high success rate, but sometimes they crap out.
Will root soft or hard wood, but hardwood seems to work better.
Fuzzy Kiwis -- same as hardy kiws, but lower success rate
Pomegranate -- usually high success rate, sometimes lower. On a good
run, even tiny sticks will root.
Goumi -- low success rate. Hard wood is preferred, but they seem pretty
fickle about rooting.
Mulberry -- moderate success rate (usually graft them instead)
Concord Grapes -- moderate success rate
I have rooted a wide variety of other plants (stone fruits etc) but
generally graft them instead. I don't know class/ order/ order/ genus on
all these plants....

Clearly, the biggest variable is the plant itself. Figs are very easy.
Goumis are difficult, inconsistent at best. Even kiwis, which generally
root easily, sometimes fail. I am trying to figure out how to root hard
to root plants better (such as goumi) and what makes the difference with
other plants (kiwis) in terms of the rate of success. Like I said, it
seems like the rooting medium is less critical than temperature, but
more clarity about other variables/ methods would be useful. I am trying
to use/ improve low-input methods so I can help other folks learn how to
do this at home. I have a heating mat with thermostat, but if I can
figure out the best temperature range and method under ambient
conditions, that would help others who wan to do this at home.
Any info appreciated.
Alexis
message archives
Google message archive search: