nafex - Re: [nafex] Jerry's question on squirrels. An article I wrote on the subject.

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Jerry's question on squirrels. An article I wrote on the subject.
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:41:53 -0400

Alans approach is great if you don't have trees they can jump from. I use
the trapping approach since I have too many trees I would have to protect,
including some owned by the neighbors. After four different brands of traps
I settled on the Kania trap as the most reliable (by far). It still not easy
to get them before they cause a lot of damage; they will not notice the trap
if there are nice apples or peaches.

This year I have a new technique, I mounted a Kania trap on a metal fence
pole and I move it from tree to tree as they get interested in different
ripening trees. I wrapped some junk wood to the metal pole so they can
easily climb up. I put out a lot of mast (nuts and peanut butter) all around
the trap and up the pole as well as in the trap, and its been nearly 100%
reliable. With enough mast right by their favorite fruits you will get them
to switch their focus of interest. I have one movable trap now and I am
going to make several more out of my stationary Kania traps.

Scott