nafex - Re: [nafex] Triazide questions

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <ossoeo@myfairpoint.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Triazide questions
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:58:46 -0400

On 7/23/2013 6:16 PM, Richard J. Ossolinski wrote:
> It might be worth noting that, unlike Imidan,
>> DuPont™ Asana® XL is a restricted use pesticide.
> Richard
> Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5
>

> What exactly is 'restricted' about Asana?

Sherwin,
Please pardon any assumptions I might have projected.
Quoting from the New England Tree Fruit Management Guide:
"Federal law, the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act, or
FIFRA, created two classifications of pesticides -- general-use and
restricted-use. General-use pesticides may be purchased and used by anyone,
but only a certified applicator may purchase a restricted-use pesticide.
Restricted-use pesticides must be used by a certified applicator or someone
under their [sic] supervision."

> According to a
> list of restricted-use pesticides I saw, Asana is harmful
> to aquatic environments.
And from the Imidan label:
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This chemical can contaminate surface water through aerial and ground spray
applications. Under some conditions, it may also have a high potential for
runoff into surface water after application. These include poorly draining or
wet soils with readily visible slopes toward adjacent surface waters,
frequently flooded areas, areas overlaying extremely shallow ground water,
areas with in-field canals or ditches that drain to surface water, areas not
separated from adjacent surface waters with vegetated filter strips, and
areas overlaying tile drainage systems that drain to surface water.
This pesticide is toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates. Do not apply
directly to water or to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal
areas below the mean high-water mark. Drift and runoff may be hazardous to
aquatic organisms in neighboring areas. Do not contaminate water when
disposing of equipment washwater or rinsate.
This product is highly toxic to bees exposed directly to application residues
on crops. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or
weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area. Protective information may be
obtained from your Cooperative Agricultural Extension Service.

> DuPont recommends that it be applied professionally,
Recommends? It's the law, Federal Law.

> Strange that Alan switched to Asana to get around the restrictions on
> Imidan,
Alan noted some of Imidan's limitations, but I couldn't find where he
mentioned any restrictions.

> In fact, Imidan (Phosmet) does not show up in the restricted-use list I
> mentioned.
Because it is not a restricted use pesticide (as defined above.)

> Asana does not stress protection for fruit trees
The link below would seem to contradict this:
> http://www2.dupont.com/Production_Agriculture/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/K-15140.pdf

> and all it's
> other restrictions makes me think it is not a good choice
> for the home-orchardist.
Probably a valid conclusion in this case, Sherwin. Everything's a tradeoff.
The difficult part is finding your comfort level. Have you looked into the
likes of PyGanic, Azera, etc.?

Richard
Gouldsboro, ME
Zone 5