nafex - Re: [nafex] Ray's questions

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Ray's questions
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:02:15 -0500

On 7/18/2013 11:22 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:
Ray, I wouldn't want to rely on calcium sprays for brown rot although there
is research of it's partial effectiveness with multiple applications. Used
with sulfur it might be a good way to try organic methods but I rely on an
SI fungicide called Indar. The already mentioned Montery Fungus Fighter
is a product packaged for the home grower of similar chemistry, although it
seems not to be as useful against peach scab. You may have to go on-line
to find it. I find a single application a month before ripening is usually
adequate if rain doesn't get crazy frequent.

Where are you located? Here in southeastern NY I generally only need two
applications of similarly affective materials- I've stopped using Imidan.
Now if I can avoid too many Jap beetles and stinkbugs I'll be fine. Found
a cluster of immature green stinkbugs on a peach yesterday, however. Hot
weather encourages them.

Alan,
You mentioned stopping the Imidan. Have you found a substitute
that can handle the nasty bugs, Apple Maggots and Codling Moths?

Here in the lower Great Lakes area, we get hit hard by these two pests,
and others like them. Imidan is the most effective spray that
I know of, but I occasionally apply an Orchard Spray to cover things
like aphids and Japanese beetles. My fungicide of choice is Captan.

Have you tried adding sticker to your Montery Fungus Fighter?

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL